Brochure Type: Latin America 2022
Feel like a local explorer as expert guides show you life in a million-year-old rainforest on this epic Amazon tour. Unlock this diverse continent brimming with culture as you join a Lima chef for a market tour, sample chardonnay in Chile, marvel at Machu Picchu, and explore Cusco and the Andes Mountains.
- Discover the craftsmanship behind Andean textiles in Lima and how locals prepare for Rio de Janeiro's Carnival week
- Explore Lima, Machu Picchu, Cusco, Santiago, Puerto Varas, San Carlos de Bariloche, Nahuel Huapi National Park, Buenos Aires, Iguassu Falls and Rio de Janeiro with a Local Specialist
- Visit the Christ the Redeemer statue, Pisac market, Sacsayhuaman, Ollantaytambo, Chile's wine country, Sugarloaf Mountain and Corcovado
- View Petrohue River, Devil's Throat Falls
- Scenic Cruise in Chile's Lake Region and on Lake Nahuel Huapi in Argentina
- Scenic Train Ride to Machu Picchu aboard the Vistadome train
- Scenic Drive through the Sacred Valley and in Peru's Andean highlands
- Connect with Locals Visit a winery in Chile's Casablanca valley and meet the winemakers for a personalised experience including a tasting.
- Connect with Locals Dine at the home of a local family in the bohemian neighbourhood of Palermo Soho with its European-style homes and hip attitude.
- Connect with Locals Visit a local market with Chef Ignacio and enjoy a special lunch at his cooking school.
- Connect with Locals Explore our 30 hectare Palmetum, a collection of 19 Amazonian palms in a plot reserved for rainforest restoration and conservation.
- Dive into Culture Visit the Pisac market displaying indigeneous Quechua arts and crafts from communities from the surrounding highlands.
- Dive into Culture Enjoy cusquenian dishes and a folkloric dance perfomance.
- Dive into Culture Learn about Bariloche's chocolate heritage with a visit to the Chocolate Museum and sample locally made chocolates.
- Dive into Culture Experience the beauty of the Tango and learn about its traditions.
- Dive into Culture Enjoy a traditional Brazilian BBQ restaurant this evening and learn how to mix the perfect caipirinha.
- Dive into Culture Guided visit to the Larco Museum, which houses the largest private collection of pre-Columbian art in the world.
- Dive into Culture Visit a local chicheria for some traditional chicha tasting.
- Dive Into Culture Visit a Samba school to see and experience this symbol of Brazil.
- MAKE TRAVEL MATTER Visit our organic bio-orchard to discover many of the rainforest's tropical plants up-close, with a chance to learn about their many intriguing medicinal uses by indigenous communities.
- MAKE TRAVEL MATTER Meet a master Quechua weaver and ambassador for Andean traditions.
- Stays with Stories Stay at Sonesta Posadas del Inca Yucay, a former 18th-century colonial-style monastery in the Sacred Valley.
- 1 Farewell Dinner
- 1 Welcome Reception
- 2 Be My Guests
- 23 Breakfasts
- 3 Regional Dinners
- 7 Dinners
- 7 Lunches
- A Trafalgar bonus all Intra-Air Flights: Lima to Cusco, Cusco to Lima, Lima to Santiago, Santiago to Puerto Montt, Bariloche to Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires to Iguassu Falls and Iguassu Falls to Rio de Janeiro, including porter service at all airports
- All hotel tips, charges and local taxes
- All porterage and restaurant gratuities
- An expert Travel Director and professional Driver
- Audio headsets for flexible sightseeing
- Breakfast daily and up to half of your evening meals
- Cherry-picked hotels, all tried and trusted
- Luxury air-conditioned coach with Wi-Fi in most countries or alternative transportation (such as rail journeys)
- Must-see sightseeing and surprise extras
- Optional Experiences and free time
- Tickets for a ride aboard the Vistadome train to Machu Picchu
Call (888) 825-2779 for more information or to book today! Mention code 16627907
- Tour Operator
- Trafalgar Tours
- Offer valid through 9/30/2022
- 25 Days
- Escorted - Yes
|Day 1||Lima||Arrive Lima: Francisco Pizzaro's 'City of Kings' is your launch pad to an epic encounter with the Amazon's extraordinary biodiversity. On arrival in Lima, you'll be escorted to your airport hotel and enjoy the day to explore the sights of this colonial capital on your terms.|
Wyndham Costa del Sol Lima Airport
|Day 2||Traverse the Inkaterra Forest||Traverse the Inkaterra Forest: This morning, we fly to Puerto Maldonado (internal flight included) and embark on a journey on the Madre de Rios River to our jungle lodge. where we meet our guides for the Inkaterra Field Station. Join a Local Specialist for insights into the forest, then keep a keen eye out for shy caiman during a pre-dinner boat expedition. |
Inkaterra Field Station
|Day 3||Step Into the Mystical Amazon||Step Into the Mystical Amazon: Climb the exhilarating Inkaterra Canopy Walkway for an unforgettable opportunity to observe the rainforest from its rooftop. Deep within the rain forest, we enjoy the company of mischievous monkeys cavorting among the trees of Monkey Island. A short boat ride takes us into the Tambopata National Reserve where we'll hike through the thick jungle, admiring towering green walls of vegetation, the cacophony of birdcalls and the dappled light that filters through the canopy above. Arrive at Sandoval Lake, where you may spot a wide variety of birds, monkeys, giant river otters, black caimans and the elusive anaconda. The perfect end to our day sees us watch the sun set over the lake before heading back to our lodge for dinner.|
|Day 4||Encounter the Biodiversity of the Amazon||Encounter the Biodiversity of the Amazon: Discover the Amazon's otherworldly realm of aguajales rainforest swampland during your MAKE TRAVEL MATTER Experience and learn how vegetation has adapted to the exotic species that are drawn here as you Connect With Locals. Here you will also get a chance to visit our organic bio-orchard to discover many of the rainforest's tropical plants up-close and learn of their healing capabilities. Boldly venture out at night to discover some of the strange species that come alive under deep darkness in the Amazon with our Local Specialist. Stroll quietly as your senses heighten to the mysterious nocturnal sounds of birds, mammals, insects and amphibians wondering close by.|
|Day 5||Parrots and Puerto Maldonado||Parrots and Puerto Maldonado: This morning, embark on an excursion to a popular feeding area for multi-coloured parrots. After breakfast, we head back to Puerto Maldonado as your Amazon experience comes to an end. On arrival in Lima, you'll be transferred to your hotel in the exclusive barrio of San Isidro where you'll enjoy a Welcome Reception this evening to meet your Travel Director and travel companions.|
|Day 6||Lima||Explore Vibrant Lima: Embark on a full day with your Local Specialist exploring Francisco Pizarro's Capital of the New World. Immerse yourself in Lima's UNESCO-listed Historic Center, admiring the Plaza de Armas with its iconic cathedral and government palace. Visit the Church of San Francisco, descending into the catacombs where Lima's residents were buried for centuries. Later this morning, we'll meet local chef Ignacio Barrios, joining him for a walk through a local market while he explains how the local produce is used in traditional Peruvian cooking. Visit his cooking school for a Be My Guest experience where you'll gain insights into preparing some of the most popular local dishes, then Connect With Locals over lunch, sampling some of the dishes that were prepared. The rest of the afternoon and evening are yours to explore on your terms.|
|Day 7||Sacred Valley||Andean Textiles in Sacred Valley: We'll Dive Into Culture and visit the Pisac market and admire the exquisitely crafted Quechuan wares. Connect With Locals and meet Nilda Callanaupa Alvarez, a master Quechua weaver, and the first person from her village to attend university. She been an ambassador for Andean traditions since she began learning ancient pre-Columbian weaving techniques as a young girl in the 1960s. MAKE TRAVEL MATTER Experience as your visit helps to preserve and promote traditional pre-Columbian weaving techniques in the 21st century. End the day at your Stays With Stories, a former 18th-century colonial-style monastery in the Sacred Valley.|
Sonesta Posadas del Inca Yucay
|Day 8||Discover Iconic Machu Picchu||Discover Iconic Machu Picchu: Our first stop on our journey back to the time of the Incas is Ollantaytambo, a former stronghold built using colossal stone blocks. We journey to the Lost City in the Clouds next, boarding the Vistadome train to the great citadel of Machu Picchu. Join your Local Specialist to explore the UNESCO-listed hilltop fortress including the great Temple of the Sun, the House of the Priest, the Sacred Plaza and intricately carved Intihuatana. We'll dine at our hotel this evening.|
El Mapi by Inkaterra
|Day 9||Mesmerizing Machu Picchu||Mesmerizing Machu Picchu: Reconnect with Machu Picchu this morning. If you're feeling adventurous, hike up to the Gate of the Sun to witness first-hand the beauty of the misty peak and valley below. Take a moment to admire the stonework and ancient engineering feats that went into building this mystical city on top of an isolated mountain. This afternoon, we board a train to Cusco, stopping en route at a local chicheria for a taste of chicha. Dive Into Culture and learn how this traditional Peruvian corn beer is brewed by the local women of the nearby village.|
|Day 10||The Secrets of Cusco||The Secrets of Cusco: Gear up for a full-day of Cusco sightseeing. Explore the Inca and Spanish roots of the 'Imperial City', unlocking its best kept secrets with a Local Specialist. See the baroque Cathedral on the main Plaza de Armas, then delve deeper into the history of the Church of Santo Domingo, built atop Korikancha, the Temple of the Sun. Venture beyond the city to visit the intriguing megalith ruins of Sacsayhuaman. Spend the rest of the afternoon at leisure before you Dive Into Culture for a Regional Dinner at a local restaurant. Savour Cusquenian gastronomy against the backdrop of a traditional dance performance.|
|Day 11||Pre-Columbian Art in Lima||Pre-Columbian Art in Lima: We return to Lima where we'll have an afternoon at leisure to explore the city or simply relax. Later, Dive Into Culture when you meet your Local Specialist and curator at the Larco Museum, home to the largest private collection of 7th-century pre-Columbian art in the world. Gain insights into the evolution and culture of ancient Peruvian societies as you explore this 18th-century vice-royal mansion. Tonight, we enjoy a Regional Dinner alfresco in the museum's garden restaurant with all the essentials taken care of.|
|Day 12||Suave Santiago||Suave Santiago: Bid farewell to Peru and fly to Chile's fashionable capital, Santiago. On arrival, you'll be taken to your luxury hotel in Las Condes.|
|Day 13||Wine in Casablanca Valley||Wine in Casablanca Valley: Join a Local Specialist this morning for an in-depth orientation of the city. The flavours of crisp Chardonnay beckon after a visit to the city's Central market. We journey to Casablanca Valley, Chile's wine region, stopping at a popular winery for a gourmet lunch served out on the exquisite surrounds. Connect With Locals and meet a local winemaker for a personalised winery experience with exclusive tasting.|
|Day 14||Uncover the City of Roses||Uncover the City of Roses: We fly to the coastal port of Puerto Montt this morning. From there it's on to Puerto Varas for a tour of the 'City of Roses' with your Local Specialist. On arrival at your lakeside hotel, you'll have the rest of the day at leisure before joining your travel companions for dinner.|
Cabana del Lago
|Day 15||Cruising to Bariloche||Cruising to Bariloche: This morning's first stop will see you admire the waters of Petrohue River cascading dramatically over volcanic rocks. We'll cruise over Todos Los Santos Lake, keeping a keen eye for Andean condors against the backdrop of the Osorno Volcano. Journey through unforgettable landscapes of snow-capped mountains, lush forests and alpine lakes. Enjoy a lunch stop in Peulla before crossing the border into Argentina. We'll cruise Lake Nahuel Huapi en route to Swiss-inspired Bariloche.|
|Day 16||Striking Views in Bariloche||Striking Views in Bariloche: Meet your Local Specialist this morning, making your way along the 'Circuito Chico' for epic mountain views and shimmering lake waters in Nahuel Huapi National Park. We visit Playa Bonita and admire the beautiful natural setting below from the hilltop of St. Edward's Chapel. Take a ride on the chairlift up to Cerro Campanario for a bird's eye view of the peaks of Catedral and Tronador. Today's 'sweet spot' lies in Bariloche's centuries-old chocolate heritage. We Dive Into Culture, exploring the production area and sampling a tantalising variety of melt-in-your-mouth selections.|
|Day 17||Tango in Buenos Aires||Tango in Buenos Aires: Fly from the edge of Patagonia to the lively city of Buenos Aires where you will join your Travel Director and fellow travellers this evening for an exclusive Connect With Locals dinner in Palermo Soho. A local family and long-time residents of this trendy neighbourhood welcome us into their home sharing the fruits of homemade family recipes for a Be My Guest experience. Discover the secrets of kneading fresh country bread and learn about the art of the Tango.|
|Day 18||Explore Argentina's Capital||Explore Argentina's Capital: Connect with Argentina's capital this morning, joining your Local Specialist for a sightseeing tour of the iconic Casa Rosada and barrios of La Boca, San Telmo and Palermo. Spend some time admiring the ornate facades of Teatro Colon, then head to Recoleta cemetery to pay tribute to Argentina's former first lady, Eva Peron (Evita). Spend the afternoon at leisure, before meeting your travel companions for a Regional Dinner this evening to savour the authentic taste of Argentina Asado. Dive Into Culture as you witness the fire and passion of a traditional Tango performance by some of the best dancers in Buenos Aires.|
|Day 19||Buenos Aires Free Time||Buenos Aires Free Time: Relish a morning and afternoon to explore the 'Paris of South America' on your terms. Perhaps visit the country's finest museum, admiring the art on display at the Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes or consider a visit into the country at a traditional estancia where you'll enjoy an authentic parrillada lunch.|
|Day 20||Fly to Iguassu Falls||Fly to Iguassu Falls: Fly to Iguassu Falls in Argentina and meet your Local Specialist for a visit to the UNESCO-listed Iguassu National Park. Take a front-row seat on board an open-air ecological jungle train, keeping your camera close at hand as you stroll along the walkways to get an up-close view of the fury of Devil's Throat Falls. We cross the border into Brazil and enjoy a relaxing evening and dinner at our resort.|
Bourbon Cataratas Resort Iguassu Falls
|Day 21||The Brazilian Side of Iguassu Falls||The Brazilian Side of Iguassu Falls: Wake up in paradise and return to Iguassu National Park - this time to explore the Brazilian side of the falls. Your Local Specialist will be close at hand to take you on an immersive walk through the evergreen rainforest fed by the spray of the falls.|
|Day 22||Iguassu Falls - Rio de Janeiro||Iguassu Falls - Rio de Janeiro: Enjoy a soul-stirring encounter with Iguassu National Park this morning, meeting your Local Specialist to gain further insights into this extraordinary natural wonderland. We'll fly to vibrant Rio de Janeiro this afternoon and transfer to our hotel with magnificent ocean views over the playground of Copacabana Beach.|
|Day 23||The Iconic Sites of Rio de Janeiro||The Iconic Sites of Rio de Janeiro: Your Rio adventure begins with your Local Specialist as you ascend Sugarloaf Mountain by cable car to take in the best vantage points. Afterwards, tour the city of Rio de Janeiro and see some of its famous sites with your Local Specialist. Make the most of your afternoon in this dazzling city by exploring at your own leisure.|
|Day 24||Samba in Rio de Janeiro||Samba in Rio de Janeiro: Hop aboard a classic cogwheel train to the summit of Corcovado, the site of the iconic Christ the Redeemer statue. As the day unfolds, visit the iconic and unexpected sites with a Local Specialist including an 18th-century aqueduct and colonial Candelaria Church. Later this afternoon, we'll Dive Into Culture at a Samba school for in-depth insights into how the school operates and prepares for the annual Rio Carnival. Admire the original costumes used in the celebrations. Then, sway those hips Samba-style as you take part in a private dance lesson accompanied by a musical Samba Trio. This evening, we'll Dive Into Culture and visit a churrascaria for a Farewell Dinner complete with a splash of festive caipirinha mixing.|
|Day 25||Rio de Janeiro||Depart Rio de Janeiro: Today marks the last day of this Icons of South America adventure. Fit in some last-minute exploring and souvenir shopping until your transfer to the airport or consider extending your stay.|
- Land and Intra Air prices include economy air and air-related charges for flights between Lima-Cusco, Cusco-Lima, Lima-Santiago, Santiago-Puerto Montt, Bariloche-Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires- Cataratas del Iguazu and Foz do Iguacu- Rio De Janeiro and require purchase of round-trip air travel on LATAM between your gateway city and the itinerary's start and end gateway cities.
- These prices are correct at the time of the website going live, however are subject to confirmation at the time of booking.
- All tour information is correct at time of tours going live, however is subject to change, please confirm all details at time of booking.
- For full terms and conditions, please refer to our Conditions page.
- Hotel Class Key: D: Deluxe SF: Superior First Class F: First Class